Latest Updates

Promotion Blow

beltelInstitute suffered a surprise 1-0 home to defeat to basement club Bangor.

THIS 1-0 defeat come the end of the season maybe the one which denied Institute promotion.

Tommy Lambe’s first half goal after some poor defending by the usually reliable Paddy McLaughlin, was enough for Bangor to leave Drumahoe with a much needed win.

The first effort at goal came on eight minutes but Mark Cooling’s 25 yard free-kick was easily gathered by ’Stute keeper Marty Gallagher.

Bangor took the lead on 24 minutes after some terrible play by ’Stute experienced centre-back Paddy McLaughlin.

The skipper’s shocking pass went straight to Tommy Lambe on the edge of the box and although the defender rushed out to block the winger’s shot, the ball deflected off McLaughlin and wrong footed the scrambling Gallagher, before trickling into the net.

’Stute went close on 30 minutes but Dean Jarvis’ header, which had Bangor keeper Darren Gibbons beaten, flew inches over the bar.

The home side missed a glorious chance to equalise when they were rightfully awarded a penalty on 53 minutes.

Sean Roddy’s pass over the top found Darren McFadden who after out-jumping the out-rushing Gibbons was brought down by the keeper, giving referee Eddie Ferguson with no option but to point to the spot.

Gibbons made amends when he dived to his right and held onto Roddy’s resulting spot-kick.

On 61 minutes a Roddy corner from the right found Joe Gray at the near post, but his glancing header was well saved by Gibbons.

Unfortunately for the Drumahoe side in the closing stages although they had a lot of possession, the bumpy surface meant they never really created anything clear cut and rarely troubled Gibbons.

Institute: Gallagher, Roddy, McLaughlin, Gray, Jarvis; McKeever, Walsh, McCauley; McCrudden, Mullan, McFadden. Subs: Hume for Mullan (63); Semple for McKeever (84); Taylor, Logue & Crawford (not used).

Bangor: Gibbons, Long, Whitford, Youle, Hylands, Scates, Hall, Cooling, Morrow, Doran, Lambe. Subs: McLaughlin for Hall (67); O’Hara, Armstrong, Bowers & Justin (not used).

Referee: Mr Eddie Ferguson (Ballymoney).