Latest Updates

Newry City 3-1 Institute

Newry City 3-1 Institute
M Hughes, D Hughes, Havern – McKeever

Instituted suffered their first defeat of the season away to Newry City. Newry led for much for the game after an early Mark Hughes strike but, after being pegged back in the second, it took a late double from substitutes Daniel Hughes and Marty Havern to secure the points for City.

Newry started brightly and after a couple of early sighters from Stephen Hughes and Darragh Hanaphy, it was Mark Hughes who opened the scoring after nine minutes. The goal was made by the hard work of Hanaphy who easily outpaced John Curran and bore down on goal only to be blocked. Stephen Hughes recycled the ball to brother Mark, who curled a delightful effort into the roof of the net from distance.

Newry went close to extending the lead, first when Hanaphy’s cross was just in front of Philip Donnelly at the back post and Donnelly then created a chance for Mark Hughes which was well blocked by Sean Roddy with keeper Alan Ryan beaten. Ryan then did well to keep out Hanaphy’s header before Ricky Copeland headed just over from a corner.

Newry will have been disappointed not to have extended the lead and almost paid for their profligacy as the visitors belatedly emerged as a real attacking threat. First up, Joe McCreadie turned and fired in a shot from distance which clipped the top of the bar, before the same player had another effort that Nathan Morley-Hillen did well to turn around the post. Institute had a third effort just wide, before Newry created another double chance before the break. Both fell to Donnelly, and both were kept out by Ryan; his first save a particularly impressive effort.

The second half took a long time to come to life, with Institute pressing more without creating much and Newry content to sit on their lead and look to hit on the break. Then on 62 minutes, the game changed with a leveller for the visitors. Institute launched a long free kick into the Newry box which Morley-Hillen misjudged and Declan McKeever had an easy finish at the back post.

Newry had it all to do at this stage, but as at Larne a fortnight earlier, it was substitute Daniel Hughes who helped to turn the game for his side. Stephen Hughes was denied by another Ryan save, before brother Daniel’s direct running began to push Institute onto the back foot. Daniel created a chance which Ruairi Devlin fired over, before he was again on the mark. Donnelly did well to create pressure on a long through ball into the Institute box and the ball fell nicely for Hughes who slotted under Ryan from an acute angle.

Institute responded with a Corey Hegarty effort that went wide, before another sub sealed the win for City. A corner from Mark Hughes was missed by Copeland, but not Marty Havern who leapt like a salmon to head home. Stute kept trying and Morley-Hillen blocked Hegarty out wide before Paul Donegan deflected another shot wide with his head. It was fitting, however, that Newry had the final chance and it came from a Hughes, Mark lobbing just over on the whistle.

Report courtesy of

Leave a Reply