Latest Updates

Ballinamallard 3-0 Institute

Stute crashed out of the Irn Bru League Cup after a 3-0 defeat at Ballinamallard. Former Stute striker Andy Crawford bagged a brace and a stunning strike from Jason McCartney. It was a scoreline that flattered the Mallards with the visitors bossing much of the game but they were unable to unlock a sturdy Blues defence.

It took Ballinamallard just 3 minutes to get off the mark. David Kee’s quick free kick set Jason McCartney on his way down the left and he crossed for Crawford to finish for his first goal of the season.

Sean Friars had Fergal Murphy scrambling across his goal on 10 minutes with a well taken free kick whilst Davitt Walsh fired over the bar as Stute began to assert their authority. David Keohane had a curling effort well saved by 16 year old Stute keeper Corey Wilson but the Blues were struggling to match their opponents who were playing a high paced game.

There were further chances for Stute; Mark Kelly glancing a header wide from a Graham Crown cross whilst Jason McGrinder did well to beat his marker only for his shot to fly tantalisingly across the goalmouth.

It was Crawford who was to be a thorn in Stute’s side again however on the stroke of half time, turning in a Leon Carter’s ball across goal after Danny Keohane’s deep free kick to the back post.

After the break there were chances for Curran and Steve Feeney but neither could extend the Mallards lead. Institute continued to play their attractive passing game, with their full backs pushing forward at every opportunity and Fergal Murphy had to be at his best to tip away a Mark Kelly header.

Jason McGrinder crashed a header off the bar as Institute searched for an avenue back into the game whilst the Blues were looking dangerous on the break as the game became very open.

Jason McCartney finished the game in style however with a fine curling shot into the top left hand corner for his second of the season, giving Corey Wilson no chance in the Stute net.

Leave a Reply